Sunday, August 24, 2008

Chakhkiev of Russia wins men's 91kg boxing gold

Rakhim Chakhkiev from Russia claimed the men's 91kg boxing title at the Beijing Olympics on Saturday, beating Clemente Russo from Italy 4-2 in the final.

Chakhkiev, a silver medalist at the 2007 World Championships, said the key for his victory was the huge desire to win.

He also paid tributes to his opponent, saying Russo and himself were the best amateur boxers in their category.

Chakhkiev lost to Russo months ago in Chicago with a one-point gap.

Silver medalist Russo said it was a highly even match and his tactic was to wait and to let Chakhkiev attack.

"What happened, happened. You cannot bring back the past. If I could, yes, then I would change my strategy," the Italian said.

"I cannot say that I feel unhappy with Silver but I wanted the Gold," he added.

Russo said he would decide if to turn professional or remain an amateur boxer after the Beijing Olympic Games.

The bronze medals went to Osmai Acosta Duarte from Cuba and Deontay Wilder from the United States.

Source: Xinhua

No comments: