Sunday, August 24, 2008

Enkhbat of Mongolia wins men's bantam at Olympic boxing

Cuba's hope of boxing gold medals was dented again as its boxer Yankiel Leon Alarcon was outclassed by Badar-Uugan Enkhbat from Mongolia in the men's bantam final of the Beijing Olympic Games on Sunday.

Enkhbat, 23, was in a class of his own and withstood a comeback from the Cuban en route to the 16-5 victory, which brought the first gold medal of the event and the second overall for Mongolia.


Badar-Uugan Enkhbat of Mongolia competes against Yankiel Leon Alarcon of Cuba during Men's Bantam Final Bout of Beijing 2008 Olympic Games boxing event at Workers' Gymnasium in Beijing, China, Aug. 24, 2008. Badar-Uugan Enkhbat won the gold medal of the event.

"I'm very happy. Tomorrow I'll go back home and tell my family all my stories from the competition," Enkhbat, the Best Athlete of 2007 in Mongolia, said in the mixed zone.

The Caribbean country, known for its boxing skills, has to concede with three straight silver medals in the Beijing Olympics.

Its last hope of claiming gold in boxing is youngster Banteaux Suarez who is to compete in the men's welter event.

"He fought his way and I couldn't fight mine. Not with my left swing or my right swing, nothing. He was always far from me. I couldn't narrow the distance between us," the 26-year-old Alarcon said.

"I will dedicate my next four years to training because I want to be ready to be an Olympic champion in 2012 . I'm really happy with the silver. I know that is very important and I was so close to the gold this time. I know I'm almost there, so 2012 will be my year."

The Mongolian made a solid start by leading 4-2 in the first round. Alarcon, bronze medalist of the Pan American Championships 2008, hit some fine sizzlers, but it was the Mongolian that impressed, stretching the lead to a comfortable 8-5 in the second bout.

Enkhbat, the world championships silver medalist and reigning Asian champion, then reeled off the next eight points to close out the match at 16-5.

Source: Xinhua

No comments: